Friday, May 7, 2010

Hockey Night

One of the more interesting aspects of the expat life in Saudi Arabia is how most ‘western’ countries embassies tend to host events that offer little slices of a normal life at home. Those slices include and are not limited to; actual for real life drinks- spirits and beer, Pork, and dirty dancing. But thanks to the Canadian embassy we can add sports to that list.


We teach with a young Canadian couple who are regulars at the Canadian Embassy functions. J.J. and his wife K are excellent young teachers who have a very good perspective on what life and our job is like. We enjoy their company very much and have been hanging out with them a good deal lately. J.J. and K invited us to a coat and tie fancy Wine Tasting and Cigar party at the embassy where I met the Canadian Ambassador. J.J. has been inviting me to the ultimate in Canadian life….HOCKEY NIGHT!

Hockey Night in Canada is the night to commit a crime. Every man, woman, child, moose, and beaver is sitting in front of the TV watching the game of the week and to see what kind of ugly coat announcer Don Cherry is wearing . In Riyadh it is a rather small function ranging from 5 to as many as 30 people who go the bar (Yes! A BAR) on the Canadian Embassy grounds where there is a giant flat screen television. There are seats and a pool table which is covered by wood to serve as a table. Smokers have reign over the outside seating of course but the bar is large and the selection of beverage choice is excellent. You can get Stella Artois, Sol, Becks, or Heineken beer. Sprits include Rum, Scotch, Bourbon, and of course Canadian Whisky.

People are invited to sit around and watch the game. You help yourself to the drinks and keep a tab on an honor basis. Drinks are 10 SR or about $2.50, which isn’t too bad. Typically they order pizza but also will order Quiznos sandwiches and everyone is charged an equal share of the food plus your drinks. So it really does make for a relatively cheap night out.

I have always been someone who enjoys hockey though I can’t say that I am very sophisticated in my knowledge of the game. I am sympathetic to the Canadians who have lost many teams to the south to the USA. Frankly, I am not interested in watching Carolina v. Tampa Bay play hockey. It is much more interesting and romantic to me to see Montreal or Edmonton play than Anaheim. So, I have scored good points with the Canadians for voicing my opinion of that fact. I am all about Halifax, Hamilton, Regina and Quebec City getting franchises.

So we watch hockey, drink beer and eat pizza. Sounds a lot like what we do back home during football season. And for a short period of time…..I don’t feel like I am in Saudi Arabia.   PWT

No comments:

Post a Comment