Friday, November 26, 2010

VIP treatment

This weekend, I flew to Jeddah on the Red Sea to lead a 2 day PYP workshop. The coordinator at the school had arranged VIP treatment for my arrival, which was a first for me both in and out of Saudi. I was curious about what this exactly meant!

Upon landing at the Jeddah International Airport, I had received clear instructions: do not board the bus taking passengers from the plane to the terminal. Instead I found a beautiful dark colored full leather interior VIP Audi A8 waiting for me at the bottom of the jet way stairs.

I was whisked away in the plush comfortable Audi and taken to the VIP terminal, all furnished with fluffy sofas, wooden coffee tables and beautiful Arabian artwork, a far cry from the uncomfortable gray plastic chairs usually used in airports. Once in the VIP terminal, I was greeted by two representatives from the school who delivered me to the hotel.

The return was as interesting. Last night, the school representative borrowed my Iquama (the Saudi resident card) and my flight information, and went to the airport to check in for me. Today, he picked me up from the hotel one hour before my flight and drove me to the VIP lounge. I sat down, relaxed and when it was time, was driven in the wonderful VIP Audi A8 and dropped at the bottom of the jet way stairs. I had seat 1C, in first class… Still can’t figure out how that happened, since I was booked on an economy seat, I guess I should thank the VIP treatment! After finding my seat, I was offered a few dates and Arabic coffee.

Unfortunately, after a 30 minutes wait, we were all asked to deplane due to an issue with one of the doors and return to the terminal. Since no Audi was waiting for me this time as this was unscheduled event, I ended up boarding the bus and was taken back to the terminal. Once there, I saw those horrible plastic chairs…not very tempting! So I followed some of my fellow first class passengers directly into the first class lounge. Might as well use the VIP treatment all the way! I had access to the buffet, comfortable chairs, cappuccino machines, juices and soft drinks, but unlike any other first class lounge in the world, no hard stuff was served! After an almost three-hour delay we all boarded another plane and finally were en route back to Riyadh, enjoying a great flight in first class. Is there any other way to travel than VIP? It’s going to be difficult to fly economy next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment