Monday, May 9, 2011

Flying Saudia

Over the years, I’ve flown many airlines, but until I was IN Saudi, I had never flown Saudi Airline or Saudia like the local call it! In all honesty, I hadn’t heard much about it, except that it didn’t serve alcohol on any of its flights, domestic or international… You know that Saudi is a DRY country and so is their airline.


I’ve now traveled on Saudia several times and have had good service, not outstanding, but not bad. Flights were on time for the most part, no luggage was lost and food service still takes place on all flights, which really doesn’t happen on many airlines anymore. In Riyadh, there is an entire terminal for Saudi domestic flights which makes it quite convenient and painless.

You can now even check in online and print your boarding pass from home, for all domestic flights. That service is not available for international flights though. The whole boarding pass at home simplifies your travel, and being a woman, expedites security very much. Last time I flew, it took me less than 5 minutes from when the taxi dropped me in front of the airport to the gate, as women have to go inside a curtained room to be “wanded” for security away from prying eyes…and since way less women travel than guys, it is a rather fast process!

There is also another aspect of Saudia I have enjoyed…the first class lounge! To tell you the truth I don’t travel first class, always stuck in economy. However, at the Jeddah airport, as a Western woman, if you walk in the first class lounge like you belong there, the attendants don’t even bother asking for your boarding pass and you can enjoy the amenities.. food, juices, yogurt, cappuccino machine, PCs with internet access, TVs, magazines…Yeah, the only thing missing, you guessed it, are the libations…Oh well, can’t ask for everything in this world!  By the way, keep this a secret! 

No comments:

Post a Comment