Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Banking experience

As the end of my work experience nears, it is time to tie up loose ends, one of them being the financial aspects, including the end of contract bonus and final months of salary.  So, after receiving my last checks, I went to the school's bank to cash them, to the ladies' bank to be more precise. 
Service is slow, the tellers are all smiling and professionally dressed and none are wearing the abaya, as this is a women only zone.  I hand them my checks and they tell me that the bank does not have enough cash for me to cash them...  It's ONE o'clock in the afternoon, I left work for just a little while and need to get back... I tell the ladies just that, that I don't have time to wait, that I can't go to another bank and that they need to cash my checks!  After making a phone call, somehow the money magically appears and they can process my checks.  
While I'm at the ladies branch, my husband is on the men's side, having the same conversation!  But for him not all the money appears....
As I'm sitting waiting for the ladies to finish processing it all, sipping on my tea, I see all the tellers get moving really fast, grabbing their abaya and their scarf and covering up everything except their faces.  I'm dumbfounded, can't figure out what is happening, even check my watch to see if there is supposed to be a prayer I forgot about (and there isn't)... 
Then, a MAN walks into the ladies side!!!  Eureka, that's why they were covering, to protect themselves from his prying eyes!  So, the male teller sits in front of me, produces my husband's checks and processes them, again out of that magically appeared money that wasn't there when I started this whole thing!  While he's doing all this, he doesn't say hi to any of hsi female coworkers,or  to me and never even looks up from his keyboard while he's typing...  It's actually the weirdest feeling, to not be acknowleged at all.  I guess I'm used to customer service and being greeted with a hint of courtosy!
In a way it does sum up a lot of the interactions between the sexes in the Kingdom, they live fullfilling lives each on their side but don't interact and none is the wiser!

No comments:

Post a Comment