Monday, June 20, 2011

A string of Lasts

The clock is ticking and it seems that the days until departure will be full of “lasts”! Yesterday was the last time we could see some of our French friends... The kids played together, hugged each other and now, my daughter is very sad as she lost the BFF (best friend forever) she had made on the compound. We hope the girls will see each other again, sometimes in the future...


Last night, I also went on my last shopping trip to the Souk. My goal was to either sell or exchange a pair of gold earrings I had and never once worn. It was rather easy to achieve, as all the stores in the gold souk trade gold and buy it by the gram. So, after deciding what I wanted and talking price, I traded my earrings for a gorgeous Saudi diamond pendant mounted on 24 carat gold on a delicate gold chain. I can’t wait to wear it on special occasions.


Since this was my last trip to the Souk, I did go in several carpet stores, just like I do everytime, always talking myself out of buying.  Yesterday I did buy a fabulous lambswool rug from Iran with some intricate patterns at a fraction of its regular price and well below what you would pay anywhere else in the world.  My last little souvenir from Saudi Arabia!
As I was with two male friends, it was different than usual, since I usually either went to the Souk alone, with one of the kids or/and with my husband. Having one being Arabic speake was even better, as he could haggle for us! I was, however, more careful about covering my hair, as I did not want to draw unnecessary attention to us, no explanation needed here.


The boys wanted to go to Batha Souk in old downtown Riyadh, that used to be (and probably still is to some extent) the main commercial artery in town, where a lot of the expat labourers and household staff still shop. You have not been to Riyadh until you drive through Batha after 10 PM!  It is thriving, people are all over shopping, carrying on business...  It reminded me so much of Khan El Khalili, the big Souk in downtown Cairo , even with the set of pedestrain bridges used to cross the street as the Souk is on both sides of it and the traffic is scary busy, to say the least.


We went to a shoe store, on 4 stories, selling mostly Caterpillar, Hush-Puppies, Merrel and Sebago brands...  All were new and all were at major discounts compared to what you would pay in a mall store, even on sale!  I bought 3 band name pairs of shoes, full leather for SAR 200, or about US$ 42...can't beat that!  Place your orders now!


So, three LASTS in one evening...and we still have 10 days to go!  We are putting this quote from Jonathan Huie to great use... as we “Celebrate endings – for they precede new beginnings.”

1 comment:

  1. Are you a business man or woman? Do you need funds to start up your own business? Do you need loan to settle your debt or pay off your bills or start a nice business? Do you need funds to finance your project? We Offers guaranteed loan services of any amount and to any part of the world for (Individuals, Companies, Realtor and Corporate Bodies) at our superb interest rate of 3%. For application and more information send replies to the following E-mail address: standardonlineinvestment@gmail.com
    Thanks and look forward to your prompt reply.
    Regards,
    Muqse

    ReplyDelete